JOB VACANCIES AT ARISAIG SEA KAYAK CENTRE
Arisaig sea kayak centre is a small business based in Arisaig village in the heart of Scotland’s West coast. We run a range of sea kayak journeys along some of the most stunning coastline in the world. We are a young and vibrant company with a huge enthusiasm for sea kayaking, adventure and Scotland. The business has enjoyed rapid growth and is now Scotland’s busiest sea kayaking company.
We are currently recruiting for these roles:
Arisaig sea kayak centre (ASKC) is looking to recruit an operations assistant to take responsibility for the day to day logistics of the business. Working directly with the business owner and a small guiding team you’ll engage with a diverse and exciting range of tasks as fits the needs of a small but growing adventure tourism business.
The core of the role will be to support the business owner in running ASKC, this involves working through the specific tasks listed below, which form the day to day ‘off the water’ aspect of the centre's’ operations. A secondary role will be to assist in the delivery of the centre’s marketing plan, specifically focused on content creation and distribution. There is much scope for individual skills and creativity to influence this secondary role. The successful candidate will share tasks with the business owner; the balance of this dependant upon the candidate's specific skills and experience. Running a small adventure tourism business requires a large range of skills - the ability to learn quickly, demonstrate initiative and to take on a variety of tasks and situations is an important requirement of the role.
The role will be customer facing and the successful candidate should be able to form an effective ambassador for ASKC, demonstrating an ability to clearly communicate knowledge and enthusiasm for adventure and the West coast of Scotland.
A successful candidate will be able to make informed decisions and work to optimise the centres administrative and operational systems: Ultimately working towards creating a platform on which the business can enjoy further growth.
The role will be focused on the ‘off the water’ side of the business, with all decisions regarding guiding and safety remaining the responsibility of the guides.
- Communicating with customers, either via email, on the phone or face to face in the centre. Demonstrating excellent customer service and a clear knowledge of the sea kayak trips that ASKC offers. Helping customers book trips appropriate to their skill/experience level and aspirations.
- Managing the booking system.
- Assisting with the researching and creation of new sea kayak trips.
- Managing the use of vehicles, trailers, kayaks and equipment to ensure the centre is operating as efficiently as possible. Creating and refining operating systems and procedures to allow the logistical support for further company growth.
- There may be an infrequent need to pick up or drop off sea kayak groups in the local area, which involves short journeys driving a 9 seater and towing a trailer (cat B licence is fine).
- Creating staff rotas and liaising with freelance staff.
- A minor role will be to assist with the maintenance and repair of the sea kayaks and kit.
- Distributing content via social media and using initiative, skills and knowledge to create marketing opportunities for ASKC.
- Working with the business owner and outside agencies to generate inspirational content.
No specific qualification is needed.
- A commitment to excellent customer service skills.
- Experience of communicating with customers and the ability to very accurately describe products and services and advise customers via email or face to face.
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to use initiative to balance a mixed workload and prioritise tasks.
- The ability to work with a range of common software (such as google docs) fluidly.
- A love of the outdoors.
- No sea kayak experience is needed but is very beneficial. Candidates applying with no sea kayak experience would be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm/knowledge of adventure/wild places and would be expected to quickly develop knowledge of our sea kayak trips.
- Attention to detail and a concern for quality and consistency.
- Strong, independent work ethic.
- Content creation - both written and visual.
- Digital marketing.
- Working knowledge of using the range of Adobe software such as photoshop and/or premiere pro.
- Experience of working within adventure tourism.
- Current knowledge of the adventure tourism industry and tourism on the West coast of Scotland.
- Experience of using a CMS (such as wordpress) to update websites.
Benefits of working with ASKC
- Access to outdoor equipment discounts.
- Based in a stunning part of the Highlands.
Start date - June 2018 End date - mid-September 2018
Salary - £19000 to £23000 per annum depending on experience and qualifications.
To apply or to request further information please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send a CV and also include a one page statement explaining how you’ll excel at this role.
Freelance Sea kayak guide
If you are a freelance sea kayak guide working in Scotland then feel free to get in touch about freelance guiding opportunities we may be able to offer.